Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Sound of Quiet

I try to get up before my kids in the morning.  I like to have some time before I have to be "on."  I like to drink my first cup of coffee as I check Facebook.  Feed my cat.  Wake up a little bit.  And I like the quiet.

Ahhh, quiet.  It's so rare, as a parent, to have quiet.  Silence.  I think parents tend to forget that silence is even a sound.  An option.  So many of the vibrations surrounding me are filled with crying, fighting, whining.  And asking.  And chatter.  Chatter chatter chatterchatterchatter.  


Sometimes, when I'm with my parents or other people who aren't necessarily around kids all the time, I find that I can tune out my kid's noise.  I don't realize I'm doing it until the person I'm with winces.  Usually trying very hard to ignore the screeching.  And that's when the sound hits me.  Like, sometimes when I first wake up, I don't hear the fan.  And then I do.  I don't hear my kids screaming at each other.  And then I do.  I guess it's just my brain's way of taking a moment of silence.  Even amongst all the noise. 

Oprah once said we should have ten minutes of silence a day.  I remember thinking, Ten minutes!  Only a woman with no kids could find ten minutes of silence.  But I agree with her.  When I have some time to enjoy the quiet, especially in the morning, I'm a better person for it.  Well, a better mom, at least. 

No comments:

Post a Comment