Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Un-famous

My kids are making a movie today (I'm the Horrible Witch who gets shot in the face).  They are creating costumes and writing a script.  My husband has unknowingly agreed to video this award-winning film when he gets home from work this evening.

All of this has reminded me of a time my friend and I decided to make a movie.  My friend was named Allison and she befriended me the moment I showed up in her 4th grade class as "the new girl."  I soon learned why she was so quick to be my friend.  She was moody and bossy and, thankfully, moved away later that year.  But that move was my first experience at having to make new friends and I was thrilled that someone wanted to hang out with me.

So, one day in her backyard, we started coming up with a storyline.  Something about two lost girls.  I don't remember exactly what the story was, but here's what I do remember.  I remember thinking it was so much fun.  The pretending.  The planning.  And then she said, "My dad says this movie could make us famous!"  She said this with excitement.  A gleam in her eyes.  She wanted to be famous!  But I was terrified.

The fun was gone.  The movie had lost it's charm and I didn't want to do it anymore.  The thought of being famous had ruined it for me.

This memory pretty much sums me up.  I'm not like my brother, the punk rocker turned pastor who is completely at ease in front of a crowd.  Or my sister, an actress who has spent her entire adulthood in front of cameras.  Once the pressure is on, I'm turned off.  So, I'm not going to lie.  I might not give this current role my all.  Although, I probably could handle being type-cast as a horrible witch my entire acting career.

2 comments:

  1. So . . . when do we get to see the video? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to wait until it comes to a theater near you! :)

    ReplyDelete