Monday, July 25, 2011

My Mug Overfloweth

I was at a family bridal shower yesterday.  My cousin, one of the hostesses, presented a devotion somewhere between opening presents and having cake.  I don't remember all of the Bible verses she referenced, but it was what she had to say about cups overflowing that got my attention.

I have heard that saying all my life.  My cup overfloweth.  I have always thought about it in terms of myself.  My things.  My blessings, too many to count.  How nice for me. It's about me.

But my cousin presented it in a new light.  She said God is the liquid (I imagined coffee, of course).  And it's God pouring into the coffee cup.  And he fills us up.  To the very brim.  And keeps pouring!  As she was talking I was imagining coffee spilling over the sides of my mug.  Spreading over my counter, creeping towards the edges and then cascading over in a golden brown delicious waterfall.  And then she said, "And the liquid spilling over is what we share with others."  Because God has filled us up, we want to share Him.  We want to be the carafe that pours Him into those around us. 

So, as I pour myself a cup of coffee this morning, I'm going to think about how I can pour God into the lives of the people He blesses me with today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment