Tuesday, July 19, 2011

New Do

I accidentally colored my hair.  Well, I colored it on purpose.  And I even purposely chose to do something a little different.  But I didn't mean to do something this different.  Although, it's not different bad.  I like it.  I really like it, actually.  And apparently it's not as different as I thought, as it took my husband three hours to notice.

I wanted to lighten my hair.  Not because blonds have more fun (that's a bunch of hooey) but because I am in a fight against gray hair and the lighter my hair, the less noticeable the little buggers are.  At least that's my philosophy.  So while I wanted lighter, I hadn't anticipated it getting this light.  It's not platinum blond...probably not even blond.  But it's drastically lighter than it was twenty-four hours ago. 

Now here's where I have to fight off not only grays, but also my anxiety.  As I drove home yesterday and snuck little peeks in the rear-view mirror at my new color, I would get a surge of excitement.  Yay, I would think, it's different and fun and summery!  But on the heels of that would be, What will everyone think?  What will Wade think?  What will MY MOM think

I went for a walk with my neighbor last night and she noticed right away (thank goodness I didn't have to walk for three hours in this heat!).  I'm one of those people who has a hard time taking a compliment.  She said she really liked it.  While I know the correct response would be to say "thank you," I can never seem to just leave it at that.  I dove into the whole explanation about not expecting it to get so light and does it make me look like I'm trying to look younger and I hate the whole What did you do to your hair? conversation because I can never tell if people are being sincere or just being nice.   

So.  Anyway.  Like my blog and my tattoo and my patio set, I am adding my hair to the growing list of things that I like and I will continue to work on letting that be enough.

1 comment: