Saturday, October 9, 2010

Like Me

I started this blog to get myself writing.  Again.  And it's done that.  While I'm writing I tend to forget that other people may be reading what I'm writing.  Except for right now, because I happen to be writing this to you.  I discovered something new about my blog.  New to me, that is.  I'm pretty sure it's been there all along.  It only took me 6 months to notice the "stats" tab for My Life in Coffee and when I clicked on it I was pleasantly surprised and completely terrified at the same time.

I knew that friends were reading what I wrote.  And it still catches me off guard when someone, seemingly out of the blue, says something like, "I've thought about getting a tattoo" or "I had a sinus infection once, too."  Like we're in the middle of a conversation.  Then I realize they are responding to what I had written and I go from feeling confused to flattered that someone actually read what I wrote.

I know my mom reads this from time to time.  When she first read it she called me and said she thought I was a talented writer (she has to think this, she's my mom).  And my dad said he laughed out loud when he read the last line of Slow Down.  That made me happy because I laughed out loud when I wrote it. 

Even knowing that friends and family were reading this, and hopefully enjoying it, I'm still able to honestly share my thoughts, sometimes better than others.  But the stats were crazy!  At least to me.  I am sure, compared to most writers (bloggers?...not sure how I feel about that term) what I saw was small potatoes, but to me it was overwhelming.   I saw how many hits my blog has gotten.  I can see how people stumbled upon my blog, mostly through Facebook, obviously.  I'm not going to throw out numbers (they aren't that impressive!).  But I am going to throw out a country.  Latvia.  Okay, a few countries.  Russia.  The Netherlands.  South Korea?

I can only assume that the people in places other than the Unites States, or Minnesota for that matter, who looked at my blog ended up there by random chance.  I'm sure they typed amoxicillin into Google and ended up at my Pharmacy post or typed tile and found themselves rolling their eyes at my do-it-yourself disaster.  But it's blowing my mind that someone, anyone, that I don't know might be looking at my blog.  In a good way.  In an overwhelmingly good way.

So, now that I'm world-famous, I thought I would give my little blog a Facebook page.  So please, if you like my blog, like it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment