Thursday, October 7, 2010

Pharmacy

I don't usually take anything when I'm sick.  So right now I feel like a walking pharmacy.  Well, at least a walking drug store.  In the last hour I have taken Sudafed, ibuprofen, amoxicillin, and a dash of Afrin.  Now I'm just waiting to feel better.

I went to the Minute Clinic today because I suspected I had a sinus infection.  I was right.  My head feels like a balloon.  A big, painful, snot-filled balloon.  I'm supposed to be doing laundry right now, but instead I decided to sit on my couch.  And write.

This is when the guilt sets in. Wade has been sick and I wasn't the most, um, sympathetic wife. But, of course, as soon as I told him that I had a fever and a sinus infection he has been sending me texts that say "I'm sorry" and sad faces.  :(  The equivalent of bringing me chicken noodle soup in our technological world, I suppose.  And I know that when he gets home he'll take the kids out so that I can have a break and maybe even take a little nap.

So, I've been thinking about why I'm unable (because I try, I really try!) to show that same sympathy when he's sick.  Obviously, having three kids takes up most of my patience and energy on any given day.  After making meals, cleaning up, changing diapers, chasing Lily constantly (she never stops moving!!), being yelled at, being told "I wish you weren't my mom", doing laundry...you get the idea, I don't have much left over to wait on my husband.  And yes, I know that makes me a terrible wife.  So when he's sick, all I see is one more person depending on me to take care of him. 

That's only part of it, though.  And the other part doesn't make me out to be much better than the first.  I get jealous.  When Wade was home sick last week he got to lie up in bed.  He read.  He listened to his sports radio.  He slept.  I told the kids to leave him alone so he could rest (I may not have been overly sympathetic, but I'm not completely heartless).  But I've been sick, too.  I've had a cold for weeks.  But so have my husband and daughters, so no one seemed to notice. 

Then, today, my head started imploding to the point where putting my contacts in made me want to cry.  But I didn't get  to lie in bed.  I had to make breakfast and get the kids ready for school.  I had to entertain two kids while waiting at the Minute Clinic.  I said earlier that I was sitting on my couch, but that's not entirely true.  I got up because Lily only slept for a half hour (instead of her usual 3 hours).  And then I got up because she got a hold of and then dumped an entire box of spaghetti noodles on the floor.  And then I got up because Mia arrived (a little girl I watch a few days a week).  Snacks were requested (more like demanded).  Then I heard Lily splashing in the toilet.  Then I found out that Max and his friend stole Mia's sucker and threw it in the woods.  And that pretty much brings us to now.

I'm not complaining.  Well, yes I am.  Obviously.  I don't get a sick day when I'm sick. I just get a regular day, only I fee like crud the whole time. 

I think all those meds are finally starting work.  But don't tell Wade.  I'm still hoping he takes the kids out of the house for a while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment