Friday, April 9, 2010

Slow Down

The other day, as I instructed the car ahead of me to get out of my way, my 6-year old daughter asked me why I'm always talking to the people driving other cars. My polite answer was, "I'm helping them drive better." She thought about that for a minute and then replied, "But how can you be helping them when they can't hear you."

I definitely have a bit (ahem) of road rage. But I'm in a hurry and other people are in my way. What I have noticed, however, is how often I seem to be hurrying...even when I have no particular reason. For instance, I'll tell the kids to get their shoes on and get ready to go to Target. Suddenly it's like I can't get them in the car fast enough. I'm yelling to "pick up the pace," "we need to get going", "I don't have all day." Funny thing is, sometimes I do.

Granted, there are many days, the majority of our days, when we have to be somewhere (school, church, playdates, practices) at a certain time. And most, if not all of those days, I'm hurrying out the door, sure that I'm going to be late. Yelling at the kids, swearing under my breath as I forget my purse or the car keys. Is the dog in her kennel? Did you remember your backpack? We're finally on the road... and usually early.

So, what about those precious days when we don't have any plans? When the only thing on the schedule is a trip to the park or some grocery shopping? They should be relaxing. Slower paced. But I can't seem to turn the dial to a slower setting. I'm still going going going.

My goal for this summer is to slow down. I hear so many other moms talking about what they are going to have their kids do this summer, but when they ask me I think my answer is going to be "slow down." Sophie and Max each want to play a sport, and I'm all for that, but I'm leaning against the day camps and other classes. Our family seems so busy lately, and summers go by so fast (especially here in MN). I don't want to spend it running around, dropping one kid here and another one there. I want to walk to the park, watch them play in the yard, read books on rainy days.

So, if you see me out on the roads this summer, hopefully I'll have a smile on my face and give you a wave hello. If not, it's probably best if you just get out of my way.



No comments:

Post a Comment