Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Hunka Hunka Burning Love

Wade and I are in the process of deciding where we are going to celebrate our anniversary this month.  For our first two anniversaries, before children, we got away for a weekend.  Since having Sophie, we're lucky if we get out to a movie.  But this year my parents have offered to watch all three kids for an entire weekend so that we can get away once again.  I knew I would be excited about a break from the kids (it's okay to want a break from my kids, right?) but it caught me by surprise how much I'm looking forward to two whole days alone with my husband. 

Wade brought the kids out to the 3Day for a Cure to cheer me on this past August.  This was the first time that two of my team members had ever met him.  We stopped and chatted with him and the kids for a few minutes, but as we were walking away one of these team members, said, "I bet you have a lot of fun with that hunk of a man."  My immediate visual was of Wade in his chair watching tv, mostly sleeping, mouth open, occasionally making a snorting noise, all while holding the remote and accidentally deleting my shows instead of fast-forwarding through the commercials.  Yea, fun.

But the thing is, my hubby is very handsome.  I just forget sometimes.  Every once in a while when we're out, say, at the grocery store, I'll momentarily see him through the eyes of someone else.  I'll come around a corner and see him deciding which soup he wants (usually split pea or something southwestern) and I'll think, Look at that good looking guy .  And then I remember that that good looking guy is mine.  And that I get to walk up to him and put my arm through his as we walk down the isle (the grocery isle, that is).

Wade and I met at the beginning of our freshman year at St. Olaf college and got to be good friends throughout our senior year.  We started dating about a year after graduation, but I do remember thinking, early on, that I loved his broad shoulders and his brown eyes.  Friends often said, even before we were actually dating, that we looked good together.  We did.  And we still do.  Only now it's harder for us to see it.

Not because we're older.  As a matter of fact, I think we both look better, healthier, now than we did before we were married.  It's harder to see my husband's handsome-ness because there are three little people standing in the way.  I love those three little people.  Very much.  But the chance to spend some time with Wade, alone, for more than a dinner at a restaurant on a Friday night, but for days, is much needed.  To sleep in and wake up without someone standing next to the bed saying "Is it morning yet?"  To have a conversation without someone interrupting to show us his newest lego creation.  To have a meal without the littlest of these people throwing her food on the floor.  Much much needed.

Because, my hope at least, is that once it's just the two of us we will remember (not to imply that we've forgotten) why we wanted to get married and have a family in the first place.  We used to have fun, be silly, hold hands.  That still happens.  Sometimes.  But now we have an audience. Funny how nine years ago having a family with this guy was all I could think about.  And now, all I want is a weekend alone with him.  And I plan to have fun with that hunk of a man.

No comments:

Post a Comment