Thursday, April 22, 2010

Wasted

I used to love Clorox wipes. I used them on everything! I bought them in bulk. I told everyone I knew about how great, easy, clean they were. And then, about five years ago, I was driving with a friend of mine, coming home from a women's retreat. I don't remember exactly what we were talking about, but she mentioned that her sister-in-law used a Clorox wipe to clean her bathroom counter and sink every day. I was about to say "Oh my goodness! That's a great idea!" but she said, "It's just so wasteful. Why couldn't she just use a rag?"

Today I consider myself to be pretty "green." I recycle, and make an effort to use products that come in recyclable containers. I reuse whatever I can (once I took a gift bag out of the garbage at my in-laws. My MIL thought I was insane). I don't buy products that over use packaging (individually wrapped prunes? Seriously?). A few years ago my mother-in-law made me cloth grocery bags and I almost always remember to bring them into the store with me. When I forget I will only take paper bags. And I give the evil eye to anyone who asks for a bag when they could easily carry their purchase without one. I use cloth diapers. I buy milk in reusable glass bottles. And I haven't used or bought a Clorox wipe since that conversation with my friend.

I joke that I'm saving the world, but in truth that is my goal. At times it seems like an overwhelming job, saving the world. And my beliefs are constantly at odds with huge companies who come up with wasteful ideas, but advertise them as necessary. Disposable mop heads or cleaning pads. Disposable plates, cups and napkins. Disposable dusters. Disposable hand towels? That commercial actually makes my heart ache. I know, I know, "Your hands are only as clean as the towel you use to dry them." So buy more actual hand towels and wash your them regularly. Use a broom. Get some cute cloth napkins. Buy a feather duster.

Here's the kicker: Those big companies who come up with all these disposable ideas, they just want your money! They don't actually care about your convenience. They know that when you run out of Swiffer cleaning pads, you have to buy more. Ka-ching! When the paper napkins are gone, you're off to the store to get another package. Ka-ching! When your over-sized hand-shaped dusting glove is dirty, you throw it away and buy a new one. Ka-ching. When your designer disposable hand towel box is empty (and your garbage can is full) you have to go. buy. more. Ka-ching!

I found this quote on the European Environment Agency website: "We're using an increasing number of one-use products such as plastic razors, cups, paper towels, wipes, nappies, plastic bags, paper napkins and even disposable cameras to name a few. Not only do they usually cost more in the long-run, they involve the consumption of more resources and energy than their reusable alternatives."

I don't watch commercials very often (love my DVR!) but when I do, I watch them with a skeptical eye. If there's a way that I can reuse the product, several times, then I may consider it. But anything that is one-use is out. In my opinion it's sole purpose is to take up space in a land-fill and I will have no part of it.

A box of sixty Kleenex Disposable Cottony-soft Hand Towels cost $22.00. I can go to Target and get an actual hand towel for $3.50. That means, for $24.50 I can have a clean hand towel in my bathroom each day of the week. And at the end of the week I can wash them and use them again. And again. And again. And again... You see where this is going? Even a cheap Target towel is going to get hundreds of uses before it's in the trash. Math is not my strength, but I know for sure that that is less expensive than paying $.36 every time I wash my hands.

I realize that cloth diapers and glass milk bottles may seem extreme to some. This was a process for me, for my family. And we still have a long way to go (I'd love any ideas you have, by the way). I don't expect everyone to do everything I do, although it would be super good for the Earth. But, realistically, I just want people to think about how much waste they create in a day. A week. A month. A year. Multiply that times the other households in your neighborhood, town, city, state, country. It's overwhelming (at least to me) and it's getting worse with every new disposable product created (a one-use toothbrush? Ack!), bought and then immediately thrown away.

The changes I have made may not be making much of a difference, but every little bit helps. Baby steps. If you don't recycle, start. If you buy packages of toilet paper that come with each roll individually wrapped, buy the ones that aren't (they're cheaper!). And if you are already doing things to help (Yay!!), keep your eyes open for other steps you could be taking.

"The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it." (Genesis 2:15)



Happy Earth Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment