Tuesday, November 29, 2011

After

They finished the front of the house yesterday.  Almost.  But it's done enough that I thought I'd post a picture.
Here's the BEFORE.  White.  Black shutters.  Orange brick.  Red door.  Like I said previously, I had never thought of changing it until we had this opportunity.  But once we decided to do something different, I was so excited.  Something I've learned about myself lately (and I'll be writing more on this soon) is that I really like change.  I kind of thrive on it.  I like the planning and the options.  I like creating a picture in my mind, and then changing it.  And then changing it again.  It drives my husband nuts. 
Anyway, here's the after!  In all honestly, it took me a day to get excited about it.  When I walked outside for my first look at the (mostly) finished product, I was pretty shocked.  It looks so different.  At least to me.  Which is what I wanted.  Only, when I first saw it I wondered if I'd made a mistake.  But this morning, walking out to the bus stop, I looked again and thought, "I like it."  And this afternoon, coming around the corner after running errands (with two sick kids - friends in the area, don't go to Costco or the Burnsville Super Target for a few days.  Sorry!), I thought, "I love it!"  Of course, we're not out of the woods yet.  Now I need to decide what to do with my glaringly white garage doors.  On my previously white house, they looked perfectly fine.  But now...?  
So, opinions welcome.  Leave them or paint them dark brown? 
It's funny to think about the fact that after months of planning and waiting, it's pretty much done.  And in a year, or even a month, it will be "normal" and I won't think about it anymore.  Oh, but don't get me wrong.  I'll be thinking about something.  There's always something!

3 comments:

  1. The color you used for your sidings was wonderful. People are used to having white shades for their exterior. But, sometimes, it's better to try other colors than white for a change. :) I hope that you didn't paint the garage door brown though. I think it's better to leave it that way. Brown wouldn't match with it, especially because you have a brick wall on the other side of your house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great color combinations you have there, Sara! White trims, black windows, orange brick walls, and beige sidings. It has a balance sequence and lets you create a modern-day setting for your house. The shades matched with the roof shingles as well. Anyhow, would you mind if I ask about your garage door? Did you coat it with a different color?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment! Actually, the shutters are not black, they are a very dark brown. But you are right, I do feel that these colors helped to update our home. I chose not to paint my garage doors, so they remain white.

      Delete