Sunday, January 16, 2011

Just weight a minute

I joined Weight Watchers Online.  I swore I wouldn't.  I claimed I could do this on my own.  I said I wasn't going to do anything drastic to lost these last ten pounds.  But I did it.  I joined.  Today.  Actually, about five minutes ago.

I know how to count points.  I've gone to WW meetings in the past, when I was trying to lose weight for my wedding and again after Sophie was born.  I've also counted points on my own and successfully lost weight.  But this time has been different.  This time has been harder. 

I can think of several reasons (read: excuses) why it's been harder this time around.  I'm older.  I don't feel older, but rationally speaking I am older now than I was the last time I lost weight.  And I'm over 30, which I know is this magical age where fat cells become more permanent.  Stupid fat cells.

Those are easy explanations, but I know that the above is not the reason I haven't lost weight in the last six months, despite my "trying."  I haven't really been trying.  I have said that I'm trying.  I have even convinced myself that I'm trying.  But I'm not really doing it.  And here's why:  I'm terrified.

I spent a good chunk of my young adult life over-weight.  Not obese, but overweight.  I lost weight for my wedding.  But even at my wedding I weighed more than I do right now.  After I had Sophie, almost seven years ago, I worked to lose the baby weight.  I did, and then I kept losing.  All of the sudden I wasn't overweight anymore.  I was normal.  Healthy.  Thin.  I felt good and I looked good and it had been relatively easy.  But just as I was realizing that I could feel good about my body, feel happy, sexy, attractive, I found out I was pregnant with Max.  I ballooned.  I gained over 50 pounds.  Even pregnant I looked fat.  Not cute fat.  Fat fat.

But my saving grace was my best friend's engagement and I was going to be the maid of honor.  A week after Max was born Annie, two of her other bridesmaids, her mom and I went looking for bridesmaids dresses.  I was too embarrassed to try anything on, but the other two did and we found a gorgeous dress.  I ordered mine four sizes smaller than my measurements dictated.  The sales woman scoffed at me and said "you know, it's much easier to take a dress in than it is to let it out.  There simply won't be enough fabric."  Eight months later I tried it on in the dress shop fitting room.  I had lost about 45 pounds.

The following year I trained for my first Breast Cancer 3Day and lost even more.  I kept that off for two years as I fell in love with exercise and started to eat more natural and organic foods.  I loved the healthy example I was setting for my kids.  For the first time in my life I enjoyed trying on clothes, getting dressed up to go out for dinner, wearing a slinky black dress to a wedding.  But all along I knew it wouldn't last.

I knew we were going to have another baby, so I knew I was going to have one more "free-for-all."  Two years ago I found out I was pregnant with Lily.  Initially I swore that I was going to do better, eat better, exercise more.  But as the morning sickness set in and Doritos are all that sounded good to me, my will-power wilted.  You've read about my struggles with that baby weight and nursing

We're done having babies.  There are no more "free-for-alls."  This time, if I lose the weight, when I lose the weight, it's for good.  It means making healthy choices for the rest of my life.  If I have my way, that will be a very very long time.  I want to make healthy choices because I want to have a long, healthy life.  I also want to fit into my cute summer cropped pants in time for my trip to Arizona.  I've been afraid of committing.  But I think I'm ready.

I was shopping with a friend of mine today and we saw lots of really cute clothes.  I kept thinking, as I looked through the racks, This will look good once I've lost these last ten pounds.  But when am I going to lose them? 

So, I joined Weight Watchers Online. 

5 comments:

  1. You are me. I am not kidding. I also joined WW online (10 days ago). I also have 10 pounds to lose. Well, 15 would be fabulous, but 10 is more realistic. I have also been fit and thin and healthy in my adult life in a way that I never was as a teen and young 20-something. I also have no more excuses, and I have trouble getting excited about a lifetime of paying close attention to what and how much I eat and how much exercise I'm getting. Because as much as it feels good to do those things, it is WORK! And it seems like all I have to do is get off track for a week or so and I'm back where I started.
    But it's really good to know I'm not alone! The online thing is pretty good so far. I might need the accountability of being weighed by someone other than myself, though. We'll see. I'm giving myself 3 months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing, Lisa! Wow, I really am you. :) As someone who knew you back in your early 20's I can tell you that I've always seen you as a) beautiful and b) thin. Funny how our self-image is so different than what other people really see.

    Good luck...and keep me posted! We can be each other's cheerleaders! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara, thanks for this post. I am heavier than I have ever been in my life (215); and I long for the days when I enjoyed dressing up and shopping for clothes I looked good in. I have thought about Weight Watchers, but have never gone any further with it. We are members to Four Seasons, but seem to be busy with everything else to get there. I know it's an excuse. We need to make the effort to get there. We also began drinking again last summer and it was not just a social thing, it became the norm. I'm sure that caused us to gain additional pounds. We are only having a drink or two when we go out on date night on Fridays now; and I'm hoping that will help some. Anyway, thanks for letting me share. You are the first person I have actually shared this with.

    Carolynne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carolynne,
    I can't tell you how much it means to me that you shared your story. It's so easy to rationalize excuses...I have been creating reasons why I can't lose this weight for over a year now. We enjoy a glass of wine or a beer, as well, and I'm realizing that those are calories I don't need. Cutting back is definitely the right choice! I love that you guys are going on weekly date nights... so wonderful.
    -Sara

    PS - FB msg me if you want to talk more about this in a private place. I would love to be apart of your support system.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sara! I wanted to share my sister's weight-loss blog with you, because this particular entry really got to me, and I'm hoping it may provide inspiration to you as well! Enjoy: http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=3759475

    Manda

    ReplyDelete