Thursday, May 20, 2010

Eyes on the Road

I just signed the No Phone Zone pledge. I know, I'm writing about Orpah again and playing right into the SAHM stereotype of sitting in front of the TV eating bon-bons and watching daytime TV (let's just keep the fact that I watch Y&R everyday our little secret). This whole "me watching Oprah on a regular basis" thing is actually a fairly new phenomenon. I started recording her show a month or so ago when I wanted to be sure to see some guest who I have now completely forgotten. And now that I'm recording it, I'm realizing that she is really quite addictive. And powerful. Lucky for us, she uses her powers for good.

I'm not the kind of person who runs out to get the newest Oprah Book Club book or her latest favorite thing, but I respect her and I would be lying if I said she has no power over me. Since I started recording the show and watching it most days I have noticed that she ends each time asking her viewers to sign the No Phone Zone pledge (there are also bumper stickers and t-shirts!). This really got me thinking...not only about texting, but also about how far-reaching Oprah's power really is.

I'm just going to quickly try and brain storm the people and things Oprah has launched into stardom: Dr. Phil, Bob Green, Rachel Ray, East of Eden, Dr. Oz (love him!!). I know there are many more that I don't remember or didn't know about in the first place. It's easy to roll your eyes and act all I liked East of Eden before Oprah did, but the fact of the matter is people listen to her. When she chose East of Eden for her book club, it was instantaneously number one. That means people everywhere went to their computers (or, God forbid, actually went into a bookstore!) and bought that book within seconds of hearing her announcement. That's power!

So, I'm totally on board with her No Phone Zone. If this gets people thinking about the choices they make behind the wheel, it's got to be a good thing. It's not about Oprah, it's about people not dying because someone texted someone else about who's going out with whom, and that someone else couldn't wait to get home to find out the news. It's about the a-hole who almost drove into my car the other day because he was too busy dialing his phone to watch the road! I know I'm not blameless here. I use my car-time as phone-time quite often (I don't text while driving.) as it's usually too loud in my house to talk on the phone. But when I'm driving alone in my car it's kind of like being able to close my office door and get some work done. But that's stopping now. I'm taking this pledge very seriously. I will admit, however, that I chose (there are three choices of severity for your pledge) to not text (duh!!) and only speak on the phone using a hands-free device. I don't have a hands-free device, so that leaves me with not talking on my phone while in the car. Period. Or until I get to Verizon to pick up a hands-free thingy.

I suppose the point is that not too long ago we were all driving without talking on the phone or texting. And just because we can do something, doesn't mean we should (I feel that way about so many things!). And frankly, when it comes to texting, no one can do both at the same time, and do both well. I guess driving badly is worse then texting badly, but man-oh-man those typos would drive me bonkers!

So, when next you see me on the road I'll have my hands at 10 and 2, looking straight ahead with no distractions (other than the three people in the backseat yelling at me that they are hungry or crying because no we're not going to Target just so you can get some bubble gum). I look forward to talking with you. But not while I'm in my car, unless you're standing just outside of my car and I roll down the window...I don't think Oprah has a problem with that.

2 comments:

  1. Bear with me on this Sara....as a Leader in church...I'm practicing... I will explain in a moment! Your comment:
    "I suppose the point is that not too long ago we were all driving without talking on the phone or texting. And just because we can do something, doesn't mean we should (I feel that way about so many things!)."
    Embedding scripture:
    "Everything is permissible for me" but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible" for me but I will not be mastered by anything. 1 Cor. 6:12
    Explaination....I am learning to embed scripture into everything...off the cuff...top of my head, first come to mind this morning. After only my first cup of mojo....Yay!...not bad! :)
    Great blog....I'm a fan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh...definition of an a-hole please?
    That's a golf term, I just know it! :) Kinda like FOUR!! A-HOLE!

    ReplyDelete