Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Handle It

My favorite coffee cup is breaking.  It hasn't officially broken yet, but it's going to happen.  There is a crack where the handle meets the mug and I can hear it creaking when I lift it to my mouth to take a sip.

I bought this coffee cup when I was sixteen or seventeen years old.  At a coffee shop in Saratoga Springs, NY called Madeline's; I spent quite a bit of time there when I was in high school.  I remember seeing it on display with other coffee cups, all designed by kids. I was new to drinking coffee, but I bought it because I loved the stars and the Earth and the faces, and I figured buying a coffee cup made me an official coffee drinker.

It went to college with me.  And then to the house I shared with some girlfriends.  To my first apartment.  Then to the house Wade and I bought after we got married.  Now here, where I like to make sure I can see it in the cupboard with the glass door. 

One day I was taking it out of the dishwasher and I noticed that I had inadvertently named my daughter after my coffee cup.  Seriously!  And now my Sophia is nine years old, the same age as the coffee cup Sophia when she drew this picture.


I know it's just a coffee cup and I had intended to end this post with something like, "I know it's just a coffee cup, but it holds a little bit of my history."  Blah Blah Blah.  Something like that...I hadn't thought that far ahead yet.  But, on a whim, I googled "Save the Children coffee cup" and guess what showed up at the top of the list?!  I forwarded the link to Wade who just informed me that the delivery date is March 6th.  Even though it won't be the same mug, it's close enough.  And I can totally handle that.





No comments:

Post a Comment